Spring is here and the warmer days are perfect for outdoor activities. When the weather warms up, I try my best to keep my kids outside as long as possible. When they get home from school, they have time to ride their bikes down to the park and play with their friends. These opportunities give my girls plenty of time to get creative with nature vs. staying indoors and being too plugged in to electronics. Just recently, my youngest daughter brought me sticks and rocks that she collected near the playground. I love seeing my children get excited and involved with nature!
Earth Day is on April 22 this year. With the spring season being full of outdoor activities for the kids, I thought I’d compile a list of things to do with the kids this year on Earth Day. Earth Day is the perfect day to teach our kids the importance of taking care of our earth and learning more about Earth’s resources!
10 Earth Day Activities for Kids
1. Collect rocks and paint them. My girls are into painting rocks. They usually find a few good rocks when we are taking walks and we bring them home to paint them. They attach googly eyes to the rocks to make pet rocks.
2. Paint with water. Give your kids a small cup of water with a paintbrush and let them paint the sidewalk with water!
3. Create a nature box diorama. Find leaves, sticks, moss, etc. to create a fun nature diorama using a shoe box or other small box.
4. Start a small garden. Gardening can be fun for many kids. Find a few easy to grow plants for your area and plant a small garden or container garden. Allow the kids to help dig and plant the seeds as well as water the seeds as needed. Watch them grow over time!
I wish you could have seen the excitement on my 4 year old’s face when she saw that one of her sunflowers was growing!
5. Make mud pies. When I was little, I have several memories of making mud pies with my brothers and sister! Dress your kids in play clothes for the outdoors and let them have some fun with mud.
6. Plan an outdoor getaway. Plan a family vacation and spend a few days outdoors learning about and enjoying nature with your family! If you live or are heading down to the Florida area any time soon, be sure to check out the Ocala/Marion County Activities that are offered. You can find nature trails and outdoor activities that would be perfect for celebrating Earth Day this year such as biking, boating, fishing, golfing, hiking, zip lining, and more! My girls love horseback riding and Marion County offers horseback riding and tours for the whole family to enjoy! My husband and I also love to take our girls golfing with us. We enjoy visiting new golf courses and take advantage of pretty spring and summer days outdoors!
Read more about Florida Travel as well as Ocala/Marion County Lodging ideas for your stay in Marion County! There are several great places for your family to stay including cabins, hotels & motels, RV & campgrounds, bed & breakfast, vacation rentals, and more.
7. Go on a nature scavenger hunt. Create a list of fun items to find on your nature walk such as pine cones, acorns, sticks, leaves, flowers, etc.
8. Find animals and/or insects. During your nature walk, have your children spot as many animals or insects as they can. (Butterfly, Ants, Bees, Wasps, Deer, Birds, Squirrels, etc.)
9. Pick up trash. Grab a bag with your children and go around to pick up trash with your kids around a park or your neighborhood. We did this activity last year and we filled a few bags with trash! My kids loved this activity.
10. Create a bird feeder. Find a large pine cone and spread peanut butter on the pine cone. Then, dip the pine cone in bird seed and hang from a tree. Let the kids watch for birds that come by to eat the seeds from the bird feeder.
Celebrate Earth Day this year with your family and enjoy a few of these great activities together!
Do you have any Earth Day activity ideas to add to the list?