We keep a well stocked fruit bowl in our house at all times. In our fruit bowl, we keep a variety of apples. Honeycrisp and Gala’s are my favorite! We also keep bananas in our fruit bowl. Our kids love apples and bananas, but we don’t always eat the fruit up before it goes bad. Recently, I noticed three bananas going bad and turning brown. They were still partially yellow but covered with brown spots. Instead of throwing them in the trash and wasting them like I normally do, I decided to make banana bread with them! From now on, instead of tossing bananas going bad, my goal is to turn them into a tasty recipe!
My girls love helping me bake. I gather all of the ingredients we need for recipes and then place them on our kitchen table. I help them with measuring, but they get to do all of the fun stuff – the pouring, the stirring, cracking the eggs, etc. I want to get them involved in the baking process at an early age as a learning experience and also to create fun memories with mom. They really enjoyed making the banana bread. My girls loved the smell of the banana bread both while making it and when it was baking in the oven!
Easy Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed – Tip: Slice your bananas first with highly rated banana slicer for easier mashing!
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, softened butter, and vanilla extract together. *These glass mixing bowls are my favorite!
- Add the mashed bananas, eggs, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for about a minute or until mixture is even and mixed well.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Pour banana bread mixture into a greased 8 in. loaf pan and for one hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow bread to cool before serving. Makes 1 loaf.
Serve with a cold glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee!