Summer is approaching and this is the time to make some great memories with your kids. The truth is, it is often the easiest, simplest activities that provide the best memories of all. Whether or not you have the time and money to plan any big trips or exciting vacations this summer, here are 15 fun, easy and frugal activities you will definitely want to do with your children this summer.
1. Jump in Muddy Puddles: Go ahead; get dirty! Kids love muddy puddles, and they’ll love them even more if you get in there and jump around with them.
2. Go Camping in the Backyard: Nothing beats a night spent out under the stars. Skip the long road trip, the packing and the expense. Camping in your own backyard can provide all of the fun without all of the work.
3. Catch Fireflies: Get up close and personal with nature’s little night lights by taking the kids out in the backyard to catch some fireflies. See how many you can catch in a jar, and then read all about them in a book or on the computer once you head back inside.
4. Make Your Own Popsicles: Popsicles are always fun, but they are even more fun when you make them yourself. Pick your favorite flavors and get creative with the ingredients. Who knows what you’ll come up with?
DIY Ice Pops
DIY Frozen Yogurt Pops
5. Catch a Concert in the Park: Does your city offer free concerts in the park? If so, why not enjoy an evening listening to the music. Your kids will love spending time outdoors at the park, and you’ll love having a fun and relaxing night for free!
6. Blow Bubbles: If you have little ones at home, you know how much they love playing with bubbles. See how big you can make them and then have a ball popping them all!
7. Have a Water Gun Fight: Don’t let the hot summer get the best of you. Grab the squirt guns and have a water fight to remember! What a great way to cool off at the end of a hot summer day.
8. Visit the Farmer’s Market: Trying to get your children to eat their vegetables? Take them to the Farmer’s Market and have them pick out their own. Not only is it fun and educational–it’s delicious too.
9. Make S’mores: Graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate–nothing beats this summer time favorite! You can even get creative and substitute fun alternatives like Reese’s cups or Peeps instead.
10. Go for a Bike Ride: Enjoy life in the slow lane with a leisurely bike ride around town. A bike ride is a great way to get some exercise and spend quality time with the family.
11. Build a Blanket Fort: Recapture your childhood by making a blanket fort out of chairs, sheets and blankets. Your kids will find this absolutely magical! Check out our blanket fort!
12. Visit a Petting Zoo: Get up close and personal with your favorite furry wildlife by visiting your local zoo, petting zoo, or farm. Your kids will love getting to pet the sweet animals and learning all about them. Here’s a cute video from our last visit to a petting zoo.
13. Watch a Parade: Will your city be hosting a parade later this summer? Make plans to attend now. Nothing captures children’s attention like watching all of the interesting floats and getting candy as well!
14. Read Stories: When is the last time you snuggled up with your children to read a good book? Reading is so important, and yet too often, we don’t do it nearly enough. Make plans to change that starting tonight.
15. Bake Cupcakes: Baking is a great way to teach patience, following directions, measurement and science. Plus, you end up with a yummy treat at the end! Here are some tools to help get you started!
What fun activities are you doing with your children this summer?
Leave a Reply